This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, December 19

dirac

Dancers fired from the Syracuse City Ballet re-form as a new troupe.

The newly formed dance company will consist of Cara Connolly, Lucy Hamilton, Claire Solis, Xavier Pugliese-Ciulei, Abigail Stewart and Lukas Figliozzi.

The dancers were terminated from the Syracuse City Ballet in November, only weeks before the company's annual production of "The Nutcracker," for going on strike after expressing concerns about their physical and emotional well-being.

Party pictures from this year's Nutcracker Family Benefit.

With more than 650 guests in attendance, the benefit began with a performance of the timeless classic, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™, followed by a holiday party on the Theater’s Promenade where the Sugarplum Fairy and characters from the production signed autographs and mingled with guests.

The event, which raised over $950,000, is a critical source of support for New York City Ballet and its Education and Outreach Programs as well at The School of American Ballet’s Scholarship Fund.

Preview in brief of a ballet gala scheduled for February in Bucharest.

The cast of the gala includes artists such as Iana Salenko and Dinu Tamazlâcaru, principal dancers of the Staatsballett Berlin, Julian MacKay and Madison Young, principal dancers of the Bayerische Stattsballett, Marina Minoiu, ballerina of the Royal Danish Ballet and Robert Enache, principal dancer of the Bucharest National Opera, Cristian Preda and Viviana Olaru, dancers of the Iași National Opera.

Osias Barroso Jr.  of Ballet Manila has died at age 58.

Barroso had a late start in ballet, at age 18, but made up for it with passion, dedication and perseverance because he had found what he wanted to do for the rest of his life. 

“The first day I held that barre, I knew I would never let go. When I started dancing, I found myself. I knew it was where I belonged,” he told this writer in an interview in the 1990s. “I didn’t think of quitting. My love for dance saw me through. I just like going to class every day, performing onstage, trying to perfect something, becoming someone else even in a short span of time. It’s really uplifting. Dance develops you as a person.”

A review of the Royal Swedish Ballet in "The Nutcracker" by Maggie Foyer for Bachtrack.

Orphaned twins, Petter and Lotta, played with abundant energy and glee by Louise Camelbeke and Frei Ruhl, are experiencing their first Christmas with the unconventional quartet of adults in a Swedish country town. While fantasy, dreams and magic have their place, the lead characters are introduced in a friendly domestic setting. The Prince, Gabriel Jahnke, first appears as the Charcoal Burner who rescues the twins and Uncle Blue lost in the forest, cuts them a Christmas Tree and shows them the way home.