This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, December 20

dirac

A review of Oregon Ballet Theatre's Nutracker by Amy Leona Havin for Oregon ArtsWatch.

This year’s rendition of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® shone as a bright success with newly appointed Artistic Director Dani Rowe at the helm. A former dancer with the Australian Ballet, Nederlands Dans Theater, and Christopher Wheeldon’s Morphoses, Rowe’s experience working closely with Jiří Kylián, Crystal Pite, Mats Ek, and the San Francisco Ballet has already shown its impact on OBT’s 2023 successful season opener of Swan Lake. This year’s The Nutcracker was, overall, far more triumphant than those of the past — filled with a new sense of energy and magic that delivered the viewer a childlike wonder we often seek from the ballet.

Joffrey dancers Anaís Bueno and José Pablo Castro talk about Nutcracker season.

“I came full circle,” Castro said, because this character was his first leading role in the company.

“At the age of 14 when I arrived at [The Joffrey] I was one of the kids at the party [scene]. Now I am one of the main characters in the ballet. I remember when I arrived and was in rehearsals I thought I wanted to be the main character and be an example of hope for the children who study at the school,” he said.

A story on the interplay between performers and the live orchestra in Ballet Arizona's Nutcracker.

It wasn’t until joining Ballet Arizona five years ago that Demitra Bereveskos performed “The Nutcracker” to live music. Her “Nutcracker” debut was when she was 7, likely as an angel and little mouse, she said; by her first year in the Phoenix production, she was dancing in “Waltz of the Flowers.”

“I remember being on stage and hearing the opening harp, and I’d never heard a harp like that before and it just set up the entire dance for me,” Bereveskos said. “I was probably soaring the entire time just from hearing the notes plucked on that harp.”

Dancers of the Paris Opera Ballet will go on strike for three days this month.

In June, the ballet corps went on strike over the same issue, which was not satisfyingly resolved, says [Matthieu] Botto. 

“Our demand was not really followed by the general management. They preferred to propose a reorganisation of the dancer's day, with more rehearsals, finishing one earlier in the day. But this was not at all the desire for ballet at its core,” he told RadioFrance.