This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, December 14

dirac

A review of the National Ballet of Canada's Nutcracker by Gianmarco Segato for Bachtrack.

Principal dancer Genevieve Penn Nabity gets to make one of the all time great entrances out of a huge Fabergé egg. She executed the Sugar Plum Fairy’s famous celeste-accompanied solo with fearless precision and charm, perhaps even more awe-inspiring considering her nasty fall near its start. It appeared she slipped…perhaps on a stray snowflake from the previous scene? Along with James in the grand pas de deux, they provided the evening's most heartfelt dancing. His Prince conveyed he was smitten with a touching, repeated hand-over-heart gesture while Penn Nabity’s high attitudes conveyed a kind of triumph in love.

A review of Scottish Ballet by  Róisín O'Brien for The Guardian.ttish Ballet

On this particular night, Cinders is male, danced by Bruno Micchiardi, and dreams of his princess, guest principal Jessica Fyfe. Choreographer Christopher Hampson wanted to switch the genders to question who gets to be transformed within traditional stories. As the performance draws you in, you forget the roles have been switched. Point proven.

Tulsa Ballet presents its Nutcracker.

The Tulsa Ballet has put on versions of the nutcracker for more than 50 years.

“It is Tulsa’s holiday tradition,” Black said. “I think that’s what happens with a lot of people here. They have fond memories of coming to the nutcracker with their grandmother and they themselves are now grandparents bringing their grandchildren. That will continue and continue.”

Mira Nadon makes a guest appearance with Inland Pacific Ballet.

At 13 she aced her audition for the five-week summer program at New York’s School of American Ballet. “I had heard that it was a really great program from some friends who had gone and I’d also learned some ballets that were choregraphed by George Balanchine and I fell in love with them,” she said. “Balanchine founded the School of American Ballet and the New York City Ballet, so I kind of felt a connection to those ballets and really wanted to audition for his school.” She took part in SAB’s summer programs in 2014 and 2015. It was the first time she saw so many gifted dancers from around the world in one place.