This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I see that Dale did post on this topic a few years ago.

The Balanchine Catalogue Archive listing has changed - I don't seem to be able to create a direct link, so here's some text for those who haven't heard of this ballet:

Ballet in Five Scenes

Music

George Frederick Handel (from the Royal Fireworks Music, 1749, and Water Music, ca. 1717). Book by George Lewis; underlying ideas in the organization of the sequence of scenes suggested by Dr. Arthur Upham Pope

Choreography

George Balanchine

Production

Scenery, costumes, and lighting by Esteban Francés. Scenery executed by Nolan Brothers; costumes executed by Karinska

Premiere

April 13, 1960, New York City Ballet, City Center of Music and Drama, New York. Conductor: Robert Irving

Cast [presumably the NYCB opening night cast]

SCENE I, THE SANDS OF THE DESERT: Violette Verdy, 18 women; SCENE II, THE WEAVING OF THE CARPET (PAS D’ACTION): Verdy, 12 women; Nomad Tribesmen, Conrad Ludlow, 6 men; SCENE III, THE BUILDING OF THE PALACE: ENTRANCE OF THE IRANIAN COURT: Prince and Princess of Persia, Jacques d’Amboise, Melissa Hayden; Their Courtiers, 8 couples; THE RECEPTION OF THE FOREIGN AMBASSADORS: France: The Prince and Princesses of Lorraine, Edward Villella, Susan Borree, Suki Schorer; Spain: The Duke and Duchess of Granada, Francisco Moncion, Judith Green; America: The Princess of the West Indies, Francia Russell, 6 women; China: The Duke and Duchess of L’an L’ing, Nicholas Magallanes, Patricia McBride, 4 women; Africa: The Oni of Ife and His Consort, Arthur Mitchell, Mary Hinkson (guest artist); Scotland: The Four Lairds of the Isles and Their Lady, Diana Adams, 4 men; GRAND PAS DE DEUX: Hayden, d’Amboise; SCENE IV, FINALE: THE GARDENS OF PARADISE; SCENE V, APOTHEOSIS: THE FOUNTAINS OF HEAVEN

Edited by pherank