This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, December 4

dirac

Six dancers recently dismissed from Syracuse City Ballet present their own program.

The show is called “A Celebration of the Season,” and takes place at the Palace Theatre in Eastwood on Tuesday, Dec. 19. The program for includes works set to holiday favorites like “Carol of the Bells,” and “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.”

Ballet Etudes presents its 27th Nutcracker.

Located in Huntington Beach, Ballet Etudes is a nonprofit youth ballet company dedicated to nurturing dancers’ character development and artistic growth through immersive, exceptional performance experiences. Its mission is to engage and enrich the community by introducing the power of ballet.

A preview of Milwaukee Ballet's new Nutcracker.

Milwaukee Ballet’s The Nutcracker has become an annual tradition for many families in the region, and artistic director Michael Pink wanted to create a new version that would feel familiar but inventive. “There’s a lot of homage paid to the original version,” says Pink, who created new choreography for the show. “It’s about preserving tradition and making sure that people leave the theater with wide eyes and excitement, saying ‘Oh my goodness – I never thought it could be better than the last one.’” 

An analysis of ticket prices over the years for Colorado Ballet's Nutcracker.

This year’s 63rd installment is, as in the past, a boon for the state’s marquee ballet, as sales made up more than half of its annual revenue, which totaled $15.5 million last year. That’s one of the main reasons the pandemic was so devastating to arts nonprofits, and why “Nutcracker” and other holiday performances are so vital to nonprofit arts companies.

But with ticket prices rising for all kinds of entertainment options, how are they faring for this Christmas tradition?

Sarasota Ballet rehearses Balanchine's "Theme and Variations."

During a recent rehearsal with principal dancers Jessica Assef, Jennifer Hackbarth, Maximiliano Iglesias and Ricardo Rhodes, [Philip] Neal offered praise and delivered constructive criticism in a humorous fashion: “Gentlemen extend so it doesn’t look like the can-can or my dog scratching his leg.”

He offered tips from Balanchine as he consulted a laptop streaming a performance of “Theme and Variations.” One notable Mr. B quote: “If I don’t hear it, I know it’s good,” meaning dancers shouldn’t land too heavily on their feet.

A look at Mikhail Baryshnikov's net worth.

During my four-week exploration into the careers of renowned artists, Mikhail Baryshnikov’s journey stood out, not only for his artistic prowess but also for his financial achievements. With a net worth of $45 million, Baryshnikov has transcended the realms of ballet and acting, marking his legacy in both. His defection to Canada and subsequent rise in the American ballet scene, notably with the American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet, showcases a remarkable journey of artistic and financial growth.