This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, November 4

dirac

A review of the Bolshoi Ballet in "The Master and Margarita" by ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

I was skeptical whether Edward Clug was the right choice to tackle Mikhail Bulgakov’s novel “The Master and Margarita”. A Russian choreographer seemed better equipped to adapt this landmark of Soviet literature for the ballet stage than a Romanian-born working in Maribor, Slovenia. Two years after its premiere at the Bolshoi Theatre, I was able to watch Clug’s “Master and Margarita” – and my reservations were proven thoroughly wrong. It’s a fabulous blend of entertainment and food for thought, brimful of metaphors and allusions. Yuri Possokhov, Clug’s Russian colleague, currently preparing a new piece for the Bolshoi, is full of appreciation for “Master and Margarita” as well. I met him at another performance where he told me that Clug understands the Russian soul perfectly well.

A review of New York City Ballet by Leigh Witchel for dancelog.nyc.

At this moment Roman Mejia is basically everything. He’s clean, elegant and effortless, so he’s a tough partner to go up with except for someone like Tiler Peck. Together in the third movement, Emma Von Enck bobbed her head in the soutenu combinations and pushed her jumps; he floated his. He didn’t overstuff his little solo; he did the same air jump extending high to the side, but he put a period on it with a stunning double tour in retiré, then popped Von Enck into the air.