This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, October 31

dirac

A BBC News item on the revival of London City Ballet.

The original group shut down in 1996 after 18 years of operations under its director and founder Harold King. It had been the resident ballet company at the Sadler's Wells.

Related.

King toured his popular pocket productions to small-scale regional venues but money was a constant problem and in 1996 Arts Council England withdrew its support. King saw the decision as more ideological than financial. By the end of the 1990s his company was no more.

Christopher Marney talks about bringing back London City Ballet.

I’m keen to know what his starting point was. “The first thing I did was to acquire the rights, which was relatively easy”, he says. “There were no assets. I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t disturbing the legacy. I was put in touch with Heather Knight [former administrative director to Harold King], who is truly amazing. She has been really instrumental in this process. She said, ‘You’ve got to do it because Harold was never precious, he would have loved to see it have a life’. She put me in touch with all the board members, who are all still alive and they agreed it would be wonderful – as long as I was up for taking it on a new journey, I should do it. That gave me the confidence to go and speak to Alistair Spalding at Sadler’s Wells.”