This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, October 18

dirac

A preview of American Ballet Theatre's new season by Caedra Scott-Flaherty  for Observer.

While most of the casts are quite large, the Fall Gala on Tuesday, October 24 focuses on the small. It will feature a series of pas de deux performed by ABT Principal Dancers, in excerpts from beloved classics like The Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet, along with a World Premiere pas de deux by Principal Dancer James Whiteside (performed by Isabella Boylston and Aran Bell).

A Town and Country interview with Susan Jaffe.

"I love the classics. I will always love the classics," she says. "They sell the houses out and we will never stop them. But, I want to bring a younger, diverse audience." Her strategy to do so is to employ intersectional change: offer opportunities to women choreographers, diversify dancers, and tell contemporary stories. Unlike in the past, dancers now wear tights that match their skin tone, rather than the traditional white tights.