This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, October 14

dirac

Gemma Bond makes a new piece for Sarasota Ballet.

“It’s now completely different from what I had in mind,” she said. “I need something to bring into the room. That’s where you start, but every day evolves. The new principal dancer Jennifer (Hackbarth) is just so stunning. Originally it was going to be more of a piece where everybody was just as important as the others, but she’s just so beautiful I find myself wanting to create something more for Jennifer. And Anna (Pelligrino) is just as beautiful. All that very much changed the structure.”

A review of the Joffrey Ballet in "Frankenstein" by Hedy Weiss for WTTW News.

Brilliantly danced by the Joffrey company (which has quite a few fine new dancers on its roster), backed by the impeccable playing of the Lyric Opera Orchestra ideally conducted by Scott Speck, and brought to life with stunning scenic and costume design by John Mcfarlane, this is a seamless masterwork of dance and music. And it is fully enhanced by the exceptional dramatic skills of the Joffrey dancers — one of the company’s most notable qualities.

A review of New York City Ballet by Ivy Lin for Bachtrack.

Concerto Barocco is a classic that can nevertheless be a little formulaic in the wrong hands. There was nothing formulaic about Mira Nadon as the first violin and Isabella LaFreniere as the second violin. Nadon might be the best first violin in recent memory. She has a natural radiance that shines through in even the most abstract, neoclassical ballets. Nadon’s arabesque is one of the seven wonders of the ballet world. So creamy, luxurious, controlled. LaFreniere was a good foil for Nadon. She was spiky, aggressive, angular. Gilbert Bolden in the second movement pas de deux was remarkable. So much strength lifting Nadon in those windmill lifts! So much elegance and coordination with his partnering. He’s having a breakout season.

Irina Kolpakova at work in the studio.

Kolpakova is Ballet Theater’s principal répétiteur, working especially with its leading dancers. Dance, more than any other art, is an oral tradition; it thrives on live coaching. And Kolpakova is a consummate coach, her skill evident in her rapid-fire suggestions delivered in an emphatic mix of Russian-English, her poses, her quick adjustment of a dancer’s chin or shoulders.