This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, September 20

dirac

Reviews of the Australian Ballet in "Swan Lake."

The Guardian

It was literally Australian Ballet’s genesis story, the first production they mounted back in 1962. Notable past productions for the company include Graeme Murphy’s 2002 Charles, Di and Camilla love triangle reimagining, and Anne Woolliams’ highly classicist production during her brief tenure as artistic director back in 1977. It’s Woolliams’ interpretation of Marius Petipa’s choreography that the current artistic director, David Hallberg, remounts here, albeit with new sets and costumes. The production is deeply rooted in the past, but in other ways it represents a way forward.

Limelight Magazine

Multiple artistic voices collaborating on a ballet, sometimes across several generations, is neither new nor problematic. But it does predispose itself to inconsistency, and this new Swan Lake falls victim.

An interview with Li Cunxin as he approaches retirement.

Li regards staging Romeo and Juliet in 2014, engaging national and international dancers, as ‘a glass ceiling shattering moment’. He says: ‘We had to pull out all the stops to make it work, but it was a turning point for the company and broke all box office records. After that, the company was strengthened and gradually year after year we started to grow.’

He inherited a company of 23 dancers and now has an ensemble of 48 with a young artist program of 12. ‘With 60 dancers we can virtually do any ballet production,’ he adds.    

A TV interview with Margaret Mullin.

Ballet Tucson is preparing to launch a new season, and Tony Paniagua talks with artistic director Margaret Mullin. A former dancer who loves inspiring others, Mullins’ goal is to make a significant contribution to the local arts scene while providing top-notch entertainment to ballet lovers in Southern Arizona.

South Dakota Ballet performs this week.

“I hope that the audience feels inspired and challenged, and leaves the theater thinking ‘Wow, I didn’t know dance could be like that, like a ballet company could produce something like that,” said Madeleine Scott, Founder and Artistic Director of the SD Ballet. “It’s going to be completely unexpected and that’s what I’m most excited about.”

New York City Ballet opens its seventy-fifth season with "Jewels."

The New York Times.

To see so many dancers fill the stage after “Diamonds” — more than 350, including a few from its 75-year-old beginnings — as well as inimitable stars like Suzanne Farrell, Allegra Kent, Patricia McBride and Edward Villella — made for a poignant, physical statement. These were jewels in the flesh.

Bachtrack

The performance of Jewels fitted this star-studded event. It was not a perfect performance and there were signs of opening night jitters, but perhaps no other ballet fits the abstract aesthetic of George Balanchine and is still a sure-fire commercial success. Plus, the tone of the ballet is celebratory.

Melissa Barak talks about her plans for Los Angeles Ballet.

After about nine years at the company, she ached for a change. Simultaneously, LAB was looking to grow. Mounsey, who, was an artistic advisor in the company’s creation, informed Barak of LAB’s inception. Barak returned home to join the then-new company in L.A. as a dancer in the very first season in 2006. Looking back, Barak saw the decision to join LAB then as the right choice. If she had stayed at NYCB, she says these types of roles she was pursuing would’ve been out of reach.

Russell Janzen writes about the physicality of being a dancer and thoughts about retirement for The New York Times.

So I wonder: Who will I be when my body is no longer shaped by turning out and jumping and lifting? What will I like to do when I don’t have to save my back or my calves or my feet for the next night, the next week, the next month? And how will I feel after these final shows: Like I’m getting my body back, or like I’m losing it?