This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, August 21

dirac

Cleveland Ballet opens its summer residency.

Under the artistic direction of Gladisa Guadalupe, this renowned company will perform excerpts from its upcoming fall performance schedule at Playhouse Square on Sept. 22 and 23 with: “Pas de Dix,” from the grand ballet, “Raymonda”; the new and inspiriting “Nocturne” with musical magic by Frederic Chopin; and everyone’s favorite, “Carmen,” danced to the music of Georges Bizet, the release said.

A review of "The Red Shoes - Next Step" by Leslie Felperin in The Guardian.

Honestly, the Angelina Ballerina books and TV show for ballet-crazy primary schoolgirls offer a more dramatically plausible portrait of the world of dance than this tosh, directed by Jesse Ahern and Joanne Samuel. (The latter is arguably best known for playing the late wife of Mel Gibson’s character in the original Mad Max film, although some may recall her performance as Mrs Bingle in The Wiggles Movie.)

An interview with Natalia Kusch.

Since leaving Australia she has danced with the Royal New Zealand Ballet, starred as Carmen in Rome, in many roles in Korea, and in Slovakia with fellow Ukrainian, the famed Vladimir Malakhov, performing in most of his ballets. She was in the Odessa National Theatre Ballet in Ukraine when the pandemic shut the world down. She considers herself relatively fortunate to have been there at the time, “as we actually danced almost in 'normal' way" compared to other houses in Europe. “So I danced almost four performances per week. Of course all in all it was still difficult to work while Covid, also mental it was a hard time to me, but we needed to manage this crisis and we did finally. I'm convinced that my work in Odessa while pandemic also helped people to stay positive while such a hard time.”