This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gus Solomons Jr. - RIP

Gus Solomons Jr. has died at age 84.

While a member of the company, from 1965 to 1968, Mr. Solomons originated roles in several important Cunningham works, including “Variations V,” “How to Pass, Kick, Fall and Run,” “Scramble” “RainForest” and “Walkaround Time.”

A Dance Magazine item from April of this year.

“I don’t consider myself a critic,” he said in the April 1992 issue of Dance Magazine. “I consider myself a reviewer: I review what I see, place it in context, then register my opinion…. Many critics have a particular taste and look for particular things, so they can’t evaluate a dance on its own terms. I am not a judge of any kind. I tend to think of the review as a sounding board for the artist. He or she can read the piece and see what got across and why—in one person’s opinion. Choreographers can take that information and do what they like.”

Appreciation by Wendy Perron for Dance Magazine.

Solomons found his aesthetic home in the Merce Cunningham Dance Company, where he danced from 1965–68, the first Black man to join the company. There, he could just dance—leap, lunge, pivot, skitter, crawl, and extend his space-piercing legs. He originated roles in key Cunningham works: How to Pass, Kick, Fall and Run, RainForest, Place, Walkaround Time, and Scramble. After three years, a back injury forced him offstage temporarily.