This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, August 4

dirac

A review of the Australian Ballet in "Jewels" by Helen Hawkins for The Arts Desk.

This section is a fever dream of imagery from Petipa choreography, a white scene he never wrote, with added parades of couples Raymonda-style, the women in demi-tutus like pseudo-swans. Lead honours here went to the effortless elegance of principals Benedicte Bemet and Joseph Caley (pictured right), late of BRB and ENB, a tender partner to her tragic heroine. Both showed that special quality this piece needs, grounded in strong technique but with an odd air of knowingness, as if they are conscious of all the nuances of their moves even as they are executing them

A change of venue for Richmond Ballet's Studio Series.

The Studio Series is currently held at Richmond Ballet’s headquarters at 407 E. Canal St. The departure of the program will mean the end of the organization’s public performances in the downtown space.

The change in venue will mark a return of the ballet company to the VMFA, where Richmond Ballet used to perform regularly years ago. A driving force for the relocation is VMFA’s plans for a $190 million expansion and renovation project to its facilities, which includes improvements to the museum’s Leslie Cheek Theater, where the ballet will perform.

A review of American Ballet Theatre in "Romeo and Juliet" by Leigh Witchel for dancelog.nyc.

Both Trenary and Cornejo could do everything they’re asked to, but they’re at different points in their careers. She looked as if she could do even more; there were hidden reserves. That’s not where Cornejo is now.

That is very much where Jake Roxander is. He got a shot at Mercutio in Washington DC last February, and two more during the Met season. He had facility and energy to spare, to the point where his lines almost got away from him as he tore through turns or sprung round in a jump.

An interview with Price Suddarth of Pacific Northwest Ballet.

In addition to being a dancer, you’re a choreographer. During the pandemic, you had to choreograph over Zoom — what was that like?

I try to take a very specific emotional quality, or a question that I have. Then I try to base a work around that, and then I try to disguise it. COVID changed the way that I choreograph. I made 12 ballets during the course of that year, but I did it all from my basement, [which] has seven-foot ceilings, so I can’t stretch my arms above my head.

I got a different view than I would normally have in the studio. When you’re looking at Zoom, you can see an entire room at one time. It became a lot more about discussing things and being open-minded to dialoguing with the dancers.

Natalie Portman appears in public sans wedding ring.

And now, after this alleged transgression, they are again taking steps to do what they can to save the marriage.

A source confirmed to DailyMail.com that the couple, who have been married for more than 10 years, are in fact still together.