This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, August 2

dirac

A preview of the International Ballet Festival of Miami.

As a result of Jimenez's efforts, the 28th festival showcases 11 classical dance companies from six countries, including Ballet do Teatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Varna State Opera Ballet (Bulgaria), Incolballet (Colombia), Teatro Massimo di Palermo (Italy), Unblanche (Japan), and United States dance companies, including Arts Ballet Theatre of Florida, Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami, Dimensions Dance Theatre of Miami, Milwaukee Ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, and the Washington Ballet.

An interview with Harrison Ball.

His days look and feel much different now. He logs six to seven hours at the computer, now a freelance choreographer focused on getting commissions. His mental space is different, too.

“In a way, it feels like there’s more going on than before. Because before, and really just for the past year, the focus has been on getting through it, and the focus has been on the [final] performance. So it was like, even when you have time in the ballet world, you feel like you have no time because you have to reserve all your energy. And something that I’ve been really feeling is there’s like a void now, because I had this huge reserve for all the anxiety and all of the kind of intricacies of what it is to be a dancer in a big company,” he says. “I had to hold space for that energy. And now that I don’t have to hold that space anymore, I feel like I’ve lost my marbles. It’s really disorienting, but it’s pretty fresh. It’s a different kind of busy, and I find it actually feels pretty natural for me right now.”

The University of North Carolina School of the Arts presents "Ballet Under the Stars." Video.

It's just been so rewarding and everything I could ever dream of," said Skylar Eads.

Eads knows the Ballet Under the Stars stage in Woodland Park as well as anyone.......

Now, Eads is back in a different way at the 33rd annual Ballet Under the Stars. It's her first time choreographing a show.