This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, July 15

dirac

A look back at Zoe Saldana's first big role as part of the young cast of Center Stage.

Center Stage is a 2000 film by director Nicholas Hytner (The Madness of King George) and revolves around a group of twelve aspiring ballet dancers invited to the prestigious American Ballet Academy to pursue their dreams of becoming professional ballet dancers.

The movie was unique in that it cast actual ballet dancers in the roles. It also features extended scenes of ballet that were done by the actors themselves. Many of them were first-time actors, including Zoe Saldana.

New York City Ballet dancers talk about dancing and relaxing in Saratoga.

Q: When you’re staying in town, what are some of your favorite places to go either out to eat or to visit?

A: (Unity Phelan) We as the New York City Ballet have a very special place for Roma’s [now Cardona’s]. In fact, I was just talking with my director about it in rehearsal. We can’t wait for our sandwiches. Aside from that, I have a dog who I bring to Saratoga. So we love exploring the Saratoga Spa State Park and finding the different little paths and the creeks. It’s really a beautiful setting to get to come to and call “work” every day.