This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, July 12

dirac

Hawaii Ballet Theatre presents "Peter Pan."

The performance consists of nearly 100 ballet students from Hawaii Ballet Theatre as well as other dance studios on Oahu. Performers range from ages five to adult.

Ballet, jazz, contemporary and musical theatre will be featured in the upcoming performance, along with a sneak preview of a collaborative piece between Hawaii Ballet Theatre and Hawaii Symphony Orchestra.

A review of Hamburg Ballett John Neumeier by Maggie Foyer for Bachtrack.

Neumeier’s Nijinsky Galas are legendary. This is his 48th and it shows a company in blistering good form. The evenings are long, 6 to 11 pm but what a feast of dance was packed in those five hours. Among the highlights were the appearance of the two Frola brothers, Alessandro and Francesco Gabriele, two of the brightest stars in the ballet firmament and on one night. Alessandro was joined by Jacopo Bellussi and Ida Praetorius in a comic Strauss Pizzicato-Polka and Francesco with Praetorius, the epitome of Bournonville charm, in Flower Festival in Genzano. Francesco, took to the stage with enthusiasm and boundless energy while Ida, cool and contained, measured her favours but with the sweetest of smiles.

Sarasota Ballet announces its 2023-2024 season.

The season opens with a world premiere by Gemma Bond, whose choreography has been applauded as “expansive, lyrical, handsomely coordinated, with a focus on the beauty of the line of the body.” Continuing the program is Sir Frederick Ashton’s whimsical Varii Capricci, originally revived by the Sarasota Ballet in 2019 and described as a “rare ballet bird—a self-parody and an honorable parody of the Royal Ballet’s own traditions,” by dance writer Anna Kisselgoff. Johan Kobborg’s Salute, with music by Hans Christian Lumbye, rounds out the opening program, telling a loose story of soldiers going off to war and the girls they leave behind.

Q&A with Harrison Ball.

Getting into NYCB is a huge accomplishment. Who nurtured your talent?

Being one of two or three male dancers in Charleston allowed people to see me. It fed me, and I do think I have a natural ability. I did have moments when I wanted to stop because I was bullied. People in Charleston played football and hunted. Here I was in school with a feather fan and blue kimono. My parents let me do that because that’s how I wanted to express myself. I think my parents and the ballet community really tried to bolster me with confidence, and the bullying made me focus on dance even more. 

A look at two ballet "bonkbusters" by Lyndsey Winship in The Guardian.

Two recent novels put romantic longing and steamy couplings alongside discussion of body politics, feminism and #MeToo in ballet. First Position, written by ex-American Ballet Theatre (ABT) dancer Melanie Hamrick and published by Mills & Boon, is being billed as Black Swan meets 50 Shades. Its heroine is talented but dysfunctional ballet dancer Sylvie Carter, who falls into a series of passionate trysts with a star principal. Pas de Don’t (a play on “pas de deux”, a term for a duet) by Australian journalist Chloe Angyal centres on New York dancer Heather Hays, who after being dumped by her fiance takes up a job at the Australian National Ballet and gets into a forbidden romance with a colleague.