This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, June 26

dirac

Reviews of West Australian Ballet.

ARTS Hub

The stage is laden with tables, chairs and café patrons smoking fake cigarettes. Central among these figures are the scandalous polymath, Serge Gainsbourg, and his creative/romantic muses Brigitte Bardot (Asja Petrovski) and Jane Birkin (Dayana Hardy Acuña). 

Magnetic soloist Candice Adea directly addresses the audience as Maître Demon, breaking the fourth wall to introduce the work as a “weird piece”, casually claiming to have seen better. Clad in a comical costume and holding a clipboard, Maître Demon first appears alongside the momentarily silent Gainsbourg (Juan Carlos Osma, on opening night).....

Dance Australia

The West Australian Ballet’s 2023 season of “STATE” provides a platform for two bold and unapologetic contemporary works. Gainsbourg and Slow Haunt have little in common; aptly separated by a short interval, Adam Alzaim’s Gainsbourg (with Polly Hilton as Dramaturge) is a captivating whirlwind of absurdity and disorder, whereas Melanie Lane’s Slow Haunt is a deep descend into the underworld. Despite their differences, both are clear in their intentions and offer a unique perspective. Artistic Director Aurelien Scannella was wise to choose Alzaim and Lane to head this year’s season.

A new ballet is based on the life of Bronislava Nijinska.

I wonder what the starting point was to make a ballet about Nijinska. She [Avatâra Ayuso ] says, “I discovered that she was a woman who changed the dance sector. She was frustrated with her professional life, greatly affected by the misogynist behaviours in dance at that time (1920s through to the 1950s). This motivated me to investigate and I realised she needed to be celebrated. It had to be this year because of the centenary of Les Noces. It’s a kind of proto-feminist work as it puts the female role – her dance technique and her resilience – at the forefront. It was a must to bring Nijinska back, to give her justice historically.”