This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, April 24

dirac

A look at San Francisco Ballet management and planning by Janos Gereben for San Francisco Classical Voice.

Perhaps not to that extent in 2023, but internal commotion is now apparent again in the resignation of Executive Director Danielle St.Germain after only a year on the job. Statements from her and the board are positive and complimentary, but she leaves without giving a reason or responding to interview requests. A change in a key position “means something,” especially when it comes a day after the April 20 season announcement and surprises the company.

A similar sudden resignation, which eventually placed St.Germain into the position, came just two years ago, when Executive Director Kelly Tweeddale resigned without explanation. St.Germain, then chief development officer, became executive director on an interim basis, the position later made permanent.

A chat about SFB's last program of the season by Joshua Kosman and Lily Janiak.

But how does the piece land when encountered through the prism of other art forms that are closely related but distinct? Chronicle theater critic Lily Janiak and classical music critic Joshua Kosman attended performances of the production’s opening weekend to report back.

A review of New York City Ballet by Ivy Lin for Bachtrack.

Harrison Ball will be retiring next week and now is a good time to pay tribute to this remarkable, beautiful dancer. In recent years, injuries made his appearances infrequent. However, whenever he danced, he always made the most out of his time onstage. I remember last fall I only saw him as the Poet in La Sonnambula. However, he was the most remarkable Poet I’ve ever seen: yearning, impetuous, romantic. I saw details and gestures I’d never noticed before. He is the best Puck. He captured the androgynous quality and impish mischief of the character perfectly. He was the best male in Mozartiana. Precise, witty, gallant. He never phoned it in. He is the definition of quality over quantity, and will be missed.

Ib Andersen is leaving Ballet Arizona.

Andersen’s career in the world of dance began at age 7 in Copenhagen, Denmark, at the Royal Danish Ballet School. He earned a promotion to principal dancer in the Royal Danish Corps de Ballet at the age of 20, becoming the youngest principal dancer in the company’s history. 

The Bolshoi Theater bans the ballet "Nureyev."

The law Urpin refers to is one that was passed in November that widened an existing prohibition on material considered to promote an LGBTQ+ lifestyle but also restricts the “demonstration” of LGBTQ+ behavior. It is the latest anti-LGBT law passed by Russia’s dictator Putin, who first passed a law in 2013.

Sarasota Ballet closes its season with a tribute to Balanchine.

Pelligrino’s dance teacher, Gloria Govrin, artistic director of the Eastern Connecticut Ballet, danced for Balanchine at the New York City Ballet and taught works to Sandra Jennings, who is now staging the Sarasota Ballet program.