This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, March 9

dirac

A review of a performance by the John Cranko School by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

It is no secret that Germany has been heading towards multiple calamities for some time. This has inevitably left its mark on theaters in many ways – and I’ve come to expect less-than-excellence when watching German performances of ballet. The performance by Stuttgart’s John Cranko School as guests in nearby Ludwigsburg, however, made me sigh with relief. Within minutes, it became clear that Tadeusz Matacz, the school’s longtime director, has kept the standard high. He chose to present a tasteful, primarily classical program devoid of the insipid vulgarity that I’ve encountered elsewhere. By sidelining the trends of today, Matacz takes an approach that some might discount as reactionary and outdated – but the results speak otherwise. His students seemed fabulously comfortable onstage – focused, technically strong, and convincing as actors. The sold-out auditorium cheered them on enthusiastically.

Houston Ballet presents a triple bill featuring Cathy Marston's "Summer and Smoke."

The triple-bill program features one of Stanton Welch’s hallmark ballets, Clear, as well as the return of George Balanchine’s masterpiece Concerto Barocco, which has not been performed on Houston Ballet in over 40 years.