This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, October 18

dirac

An interview with Crystal Pite by Kat Lister in The Independent.

Górecki’s profound meditation on motherhood, love and loss – composed in Katowice, Poland, in 1976 – achingly reflects Pite’s own themes, particularly in the second part of her opus, a dance she has called Covenant, a title that alludes to the promise of something, a pledge. Pite started reading the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and it moved her to create something in its image. “Of course, there’s an underlying sadness that they have to be written down at all,” she says. “But I wanted to see if I could translate the promise of that document into choreography to see how that might take shape in the body.”

A review of Alonzo King's LINES Ballet by Janice Berman for San Francisco Classical Voice.

Any apprehensions were swept aside the moment the show rolled out at the Blue Shield of California Theater. We’re talking about 60 awe-inspiring minutes, culled from King’s ballets Sutra, Rasa, and Who Dressed You Like a Foreigner? with accompaniment by Hussain, a master composer and musician playing his own work. This would seem to be one of the best outcomes from the pandemic times (See what I did here? The scourge is not over, but it already has its own epoch.), when the troupe wasn’t performing very much and the great works were simply waiting it out while the company’s great dancers, like dancers everywhere, were trying to stay ready and to continue to grow as artists.