This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, October 14

dirac

A profile of Orlando Ballet's Dahlia Denicore.

Orlando Ballet artistic director Jorden Morris says she’s earned her spot on the stage.

“She has obviously proven what she’s willing to go through to get an opportunity,” he says.

And in a business where so much depends on being in the right place at the right time, “I just thought, ‘I am going to be the right person in the right place at the right time for her,’” Morris says.

A review of the Joffrey Ballet by Hedy Weiss for WTTW Chicago.

The Joffrey dancers (a number of them new recruits replacing recent retirees, and all of them an ideal fit) are masters of classical technique. But they also possess a great flair for what has long been one of the Joffrey’s signature traits — the ability to interpret the work of contemporary choreographers who create pieces that are superb hybrids of ballet and modern dance styles. And conductor Scott Speck, an invaluable Joffrey collaborator who is invariably in impeccable synchrony with the dancers, led the splendid musicians of the Lyric Opera Orchestra in the program’s three notably varied scores.

An interview with Unity Phelan by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

She senses the mystery in her role in “Vienna Waltzes,” too, where “everyone is coupled off,” she said, and she’s by herself. “I love that they’ve given me these, like, crazy lady parts a little bit. I love finding my own story.”

Many dancers get pigeonholed into being a certain type of dancer, but Phelan’s repertory is remarkable for its range.