This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, October 5

dirac

An interview with dancers of the United Ukrainian Ballet, which is currently touring Australia.

Fellow dancer soloist Vladyslava Ihnatenko, 19, is also from Kharkiv but was in Odesa when the war started, having been a member of the Odesa National Theatre of Opera and Ballet. Her evacuation was much more swift, leaving with only a few belongings, which included her prized pointe shoes.

“I woke up because of explosions and couldn’t believe this was true and happening for real,” Ihnatenko says. “I picked up a minimum of my stuff. For ballet, I had only one pair of pointe shoes. I went to my friend in Lviv and on March 8, we crossed the border to Poland.

A preview of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre' s season opener by Sara Bauknecht in The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The season opener comes while behind the scenes PBT is heading into the final stages of a search for its next artistic director to succeed Susan Jaffe, who announced earlier this year her plans to exit the company to lead American Ballet Theatre in New York City. Beginning in late October, the four final candidates will each make a trip to Pittsburgh to meet with the company before a final decision is made.

A review of New York City Ballet by Robert Greskovic in The Wall Street Journal.

The most effective and impressive of the Gala offerings was “Love Letter [on shuffle],” Kyle Abraham’s 40-minute extended suite of choreographic episodes for a cast of 16 dancers set to 10 songs, heard on recording, by James Blake. As he did for Mr. Abraham’s 2018 “The Runaway,” Giles Deacon provided costume designs of striking beauty and shape.