This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, August 26

dirac

A preview of upcoming events in Orlando dance by Matthew J. Palm in The Orlando Sentinel.

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE: Tennessee Williams’ 1948 Pulitzer prize-winning drama is told through dance in this production Orlando Ballet will bring to the Dr. Phillips Center’s Steinmetz Hall April 27-30, 2023. Described as “steamy” by the company, “Streetcar” dives into the fragile emotional state of Blanche DuBois, a fading Southern belle who is mentally disintegrating.

The choreography Rosie Kay explains why she resigned from her own dance troupe.

After she was exonerated she issued an apology for any upset she had caused and stressed the importance of respecting different viewpoints, but refused to apologise for her actual words. “I wasn’t going to apologise for my beliefs.” Yet she was warned some dancers might appeal and three weeks later a second investigation by an external HR company was launched. She handed in her notice because she was no longer convinced that she could be herself if she stayed. “I want to be free to talk about women’s rights and that shouldn’t be a reason to ruin anyone’s career.”