This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, July 7

dirac

A review of Birmingham Royal Ballet in "Don Quixote" by Joy Sable in  The Jewish Chronicle.

On opening night Momoko Hirata was a fine Kitri, light and precise (she is tiny, so must be a joy to partner) with secure balances and lovely port de bras. She brings a real sense of mischief and fun to the role. Her Basilio was the wonderful Mathias Dingman, who oozes masculinity and has a fine stage presence. He was almost outdanced by Brandon Lawrence as the lead matador, who performed all his solos with a sure technique along with supreme self-mocking arrogance.

A preview of the Joffrey Ballet's new production aimed at children, "Rita Finds a Home."

“I really wanted to do this piece as a little bit of an homage to the spirit of survival,” said the writer, Karla Estela Rivera, who teamed up with illustrator Elisa Chavarri and choreographer Amy Hall Garner for the project. “I thought about my own experience and the joy that I have of living here. We are in times that, for migrant and immigrant families and children, there are a lot of challenges that those communities face. But there’s also a lot of joy.”

Chief choreographer Fei Bo celebrates his twentieth anniversary with the National Ballet of China.

This show at the Beijing Tianqiao Theater was part of a special performance by NBC to commemorate Fei's 20-year career with the troupe. Excerpts from a total of 10 works choreographed by Fei were performed onTuesday and Wednesday.