This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, July 2

dirac

A review of Birmingham Royal Ballet by Georgia Brooks for Redbrick.

The duets were especially tactile, exemplifying the dance’s title ‘Interlinked,’ and were riveting to watch. Although I didn’t feel that the themes and values of the commonwealth were necessarily communicated, I really enjoyed the diversity of the dancing which perhaps reflects this. Moments of synchronicity and then variety all at once were incredibly beautiful.

Q&A with Wilhelmina Frankfurt, the new artistic director of the Stapleton School of the Performing Arts.

You say you want to pass on “the great gifts that were bestowed” on you. Where does that come from?

A I studied with the best teachers in the world, who instilled in me not only their knowledge of dance, but the discipline of the art, and you carry that into your life no matter what you become. And you learn that no matter what level you’ve reached, there’s always another level, there’s always something to strive for. Also I learned it’s OK to fail. I failed really big in this one ballet. I just blew it so badly I took a leave of absence from the company. I was ashamed of myself as a young dancer and when I came back, Balanchine was not only welcoming, he understood that failure and that needing to go off was a part of my development. I learned to embrace the many different types of music, and how to handle all different personalities as well as collaboration.