This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, June 7

dirac

Q&A with Tamara Rojo and Akram Khan on the English National Ballet's "Giselle" at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

TAMARA ROJO “Giselle” is a ballet with special relevance to English National Ballet, because the company was founded, in 1950, by Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, who were famous for their partnership in that work.

I had seen the Björk film, “Dancer in the Dark,” and felt like it was the story of Giselle in a contemporary context. Akram’s first piece for the company, “Dust,” was transformative for us, and I knew he had an amazing capacity for narrative, and an abstract, spiritual side. I genuinely thought he was the choreographer who could do it.

An interview with former Stanislavsky Theater soloist Laura Fernandez.

“It was becoming morally difficult for me to continue my life in Russia, because I was in close contact with my cousin in Mariupol, who is like a brother to me,” Fernandez says, speaking from her new home in Tbilisi, Georgia. “He was telling me all the bad stuff was happening there and then I would tell my friends in Moscow and they would say, ‘No, it’s fine, they’re not killing those guys, they’re saving them’. It got to the point I couldn’t discuss the war any more.”