This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, May 7

dirac

Patricia Barker faces calls to resign from the Royal New Zealand Ballet.

An employment lawyer and two former company dancers have raised concerns about the safety of the complainants, who remain working underneath artistic director Patricia Barker, despite having complained about husband Michael Auer’s conduct towards them.

A Vogue article on New York City Ballet's gala.

As the ballets unfurled onstage, audible “awes” were heard as the young students stepped out in their tutus and loud ovations came when Farley appeared on stage following the debut of his impressive production featuring eight variations and 16 dancers. The entire program was an education in the art form, and isn’t that the best kind of night at the ballet?

West Australian Ballet presents "ALICE (in wonderland)."

Making a return through the looking glass is West Australian Ballet’s ALICE (in wonderland), an award-winning production created by the Hong Kong Ballet’s Artistic Director, Septime Webre.

Related.

Satire or not this is a superlative production danced with immense sophistication, skill, intensity and charm. Watching the inventiveness being created before you, it seems that all your childhood daydreams have come true. The only quibble, for me, is that the first act is overlong – perhaps some of the flamingo scenes, which become a bit repetitive, could be cut. (Cutting, of course, would be an operative word in the case of election platitudes.)

Ballet Idaho presents "Beauty and the Beast" and "Peter and the Wolf."

“Like sometimes Duck is a frumpy character,” Mueller said. “I wanted her to be like ‘Glamour Duck’ so she’s almost this showgirl. Her outfit is outrageous with a big headdress, and there’s some showgirl style movement for her.” This delightful pairing is a ballet for kids and families, she said, but also for first-time ballet goers. Both are relatively short — “Beauty” is about an hour and “Peter” is a little less than 40 minutes — and both feature narrators, so if you’re new to ballet, there is no chance you’ll get lost.

A review of the Vienna State Ballet by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

The third premiere of the Vienna State Ballet in this season – “Die Jahreszeiten” (“The Seasons”) – is entirely by Schläpfer. Past experience with his oeuvre made me skeptical of this new work, but I was pleasantly surprised.