This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, April 3

dirac

A review of Ballet Black by Sarah Crompton in The Guardian.

Its structure lets the dancers shine; so much of the appeal of this company lies in the talent it has allowed to blossom. These are individuals who you want to watch. This saves the second piece, Black Sun, by the South African choreographer Gregory Maqoma, which claims to be about standing together against human degradation but felt totally baffling.

Oregon Ballet Theatre's junior company performs.

The 17 dancers in the group are all 24 or younger, as it acts as a bridge between ballet school and auditioning for a real company.

“I think they’re really really beautiful dancers, they work really hard, really strong technique,” said Rehearsal Director Ye Li, who also choreographed one of the contemporary pieces. “I’m really glad to see the dancers like this. I’m so proud of them.”

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Steven Winn in The San Francisco Chronicle.

Seen at its Saturday, April 2, opening of the Ballet’s Program 5 at the War Memorial Opera House, “Harmony” debuted as a buoyant tribute to classical ballet’s ideals of beauty, grace, power, drama, tension, release and, yes, harmony, and to the dancers who bring those aspirations to life onstage. Set to a score of keyboard dances by the French Baroque master Jean-Philippe Rameau, the piece spooled out in a series of solos and pas de deux bookended by energetic ensembles.  The piece both recalled the isolation of dancers under lockdown and celebrated their return to live performance.