This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, March 12

dirac

Kyle Abraham makes a new piece for the Royal Ballet.

The question of diversity in a notoriously white art form has long concerned Kevin O’Hare, the Royal Ballet’s artistic director for the past ten years. He says that the Royal Ballet has reconfigured its education programme in the hope of encouraging more children of colour to take up dance, while its emerging choreographer candidate is Joseph Toonga, a black artist whose background is in hip-hop. “But we are really finding our way forward,” O’Hare says. “And in all honesty there is lots more to do.”

An obituary for Clement Crisp in The Times.

Crisp’s first duty was to his readers. One rookie press officer used the word “exciting” in his press release only to receive a call: “Two tickets, usual seats, and I will decide if it’s exciting.” His unapologetically direct writing was compulsory reading for balletomanes. “No critic can kebab shoddy or vulgar work as cleanly and as ruthlessly,” observed Ismene Brown, a fellow critic.

In Mick 'n' Melanie news, the Rolling Stone frontman has presented Hamrick with something that, if I had any self-restraint, I would refrain from calling a big rock:

The former ballerina was wearing the 4-carat sparkler, surrounded by sapphires, on the proper finger last Saturday in Boca Raton, Fla. The dance she choreographed, “She’s a Rainbow,” was performed to a medley of Stones songs as part of “A Night at the Ballet.”