This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, February 20

dirac

The Birmingham Royal Ballet presents "Don Quixote."

However, Momoko Hirata’s experience as a dancer shone through during those moments; she never once lost her energy which made it impossible to stop looking at her – an impressive stage presence. It was lovely to see Mathias Dingman again after having seen him dance Romeo a few months ago, and it was impressive seeing him excel in roles as different as Romeo and Basilio, roles that could even be deemed polar opposites. Yu Kurihara was also gorgeous last Friday and stood out from the rest of the cast with her amazing portrayal of Mercedes – I was always paying just a little more attention when she was dancing.

Lynn Garafola's new biography of Bronislava Nijinska has new tales to tell of Diaghilev.

She [Garafola] said: “There’s quite a bit about Diaghilev. She was always trying to please him but she also felt that he wanted to claim everything as his own. She had already been choreographing for a number of years in Russia, but he didn’t want her talking to the press. He wanted to present her new work as though this were Diaghilev’s. There were times when he hurt her professionally. When she decided to leave the company, he went out of his way to ruin her first independent effort. She had a small company in England. She had a number of young men she’d trained. They were now part of the Diaghilev company. They were on vacation and were to appear in her company. But he pulled strings in order to alert the Home Office and make sure that they didn’t have the correct visas.”

A review of New York City Ballet by Mary Cargill for danceviewtimes.

Both Sanguinic couples were making their debuts, Ashley Hod and Peter Walker on February 15 and Isabelle LaFreniere and Gilbert Bolden III on February 19. Hod  and Walker were the more powerful, soaring through the choreography, taking balances and daring gravity to do its worst. LaFreniere and Bolden were cooler and more elegant with effortless, soaring lifts.  Both Melancholic and Phlegmatic were danced by more seasoned men; Melancholic by Gonzalo Garcia (February 15) and Sebastian Villarini-Velez (February 19) and Phlegmatic by Amar Ramasar (February 15) and Russell Janzen (February 19).  Garcia was a bit too graceful, and his light, easy flow made the poor fellow's struggles seem comparatively minor, though his dancing as always had a juicy elegance.......

An interview with Isaac Hernández by Susannah Butter in The Sunday Times.

They learnt about this early on in their relationship, when there was an investigation into whether they were breaching professional boundaries — they were not. “It was incredibly difficult for both of us, but we came together,” he says. “We could have looked after ourselves, but we understood what was important was to be together and that we had not done anything wrong. At work I am an employee. I understand that. I admire Tamara as my boss, as an artist and for what she has done to ENB. I get the feeling loads of people will apply for her job, she has created so much potential.”