This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2022 Rep Season - Program 1

Program 1 with Helgi Tomasson's Trio, George Balanchine's Symphony in C, and the long awaited premiere of Cathy Marston's Mrs. Robinson will open on Tuesday February 1.  Principal Casting is up for the first two performances of Program 1 - https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

PROGRAM 1

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 7:30 PM

TRIO

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

• First Movement: Sasha De Sola, Max Cauthorn
  • Second Movement: Dores André, Luke Ingham, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
  • Third and Fourth Movements: Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco

MRS. ROBINSON (WORLD PREMIERE)

Music Composed by: Terry Davies
Choreographer: Cathy Marston

• Mrs. Robinson: Sarah Van Patten
  • Benjamin Braddock: Joseph Walsh
  • Elaine Robinson: Madison Keesler
  • Mr. Robinson: Luke Ingham
  • Mr. Braddock: Tiit Helimets
  • Mrs. Braddock: Jennifer Stahl

SYMPHONY IN C

Composer: Georges Bizet
Choreographer: George Balanchine

• First Movement: Sasha De Sola, Aaron Robison
  • Second Movement: Sarah Van Patten, Ulrik Birkkjaer
  • Third Movement: Dores André, Max Cauthorn
  • Fourth Movement: Jennifer Stahl, Henry Sidford

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 7:30 PM

TRIO

• First Movement: Norika Matsuyama, Cavan Conley
  • Second Movement: Dores André, Luke Ingham, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
  • Third and Fourth Movements: Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco

• Mrs. Robinson: Sarah Van Patten
  • Benjamin Braddock: Joseph Walsh
  • Elaine Robinson: Madison Keesler
  • Mr. Robinson: Luke Ingham
  • Mr. Braddock: Tiit Helimets
  • Mrs. Braddock: Jennifer Stahl

SYMPHONY IN C

• First Movement: Sasha De Sola, Aaron Robison
  • Third Movement:  Julia Rowe, Lucas Erni
  • Fourth Movement: WanTing Zhao, Hansuke Yamamoto

Casting is subject to change.

Edited by sf_herminator

Principal casting now posted for Friday February 4:  https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 8:00 PM

TRIO

• First Movement: Sasha De Sola, Max Cauthorn
  • Second Movement: Sarah Van Patten, Tiit Helimets, Aaron Robison
  • Third and Fourth Movements: Wona Park, Esteban Hernandez

• Mrs. Robinson: Dores Andre
  • Benjamin Braddock: Lonnie Weeks
  • Elaine Robinson: Julia Rowe
  • Mr. Robinson: Ulrik Birkkjaer
  • Mr. Braddock: Nathaniel Remez
  • Mrs. Braddock: Ludmila Bizalion

SYMPHONY IN C

• First Movement: Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco
  • Third Movement:  Isabella DeVivo, Joseph Walsh
  • Fourth Movement: Jennifer Stahl, Henry Sidford

Casting subject to change

I was in attendance last night for the opening of Program 1.  Before the performance, a short video (approximately 3 minutes) with testimonials from various people such as Christopher Wheeldon, Mikko Nissenen, and Cathy Marston (to name a few) on Helgi Tomasson in honor of his final season as Artistic Director.

It was a wonderful evening.  I just wanted to post something brief as I will be in attendance every night this week through Saturday.  But a few thoughts:

• MVP has to be Sarah Van Patten.  She danced the title role in the world premiere (FINALLY!!) of Mrs. Robinson, then did the adagio role in the second movement of Symphony in C!!  Other principals with multiple performances:  Sasha De Sola (Trio 1st movement, Symphony in C 1st movement), Max Cauthorn (Trio 1st movement, Symphony in C 3rd movement), Jennifer Stahl (Mrs. Braddock in Mrs. Robinson, Symphony in C 4th movement), Luke Ingham (Trio 2nd movement, Mr. Robinson), and Dores Andre (Trio 2nd movement, Symphony in C 3rd movement).
  • Mrs. Robinson is very thought provoking and I think will spark a lot of discussion.  I can't say I loved it but the premise and idea is very interesting.  I look forward to watching it again.
  • Overall the company looks fantastic.  Who would have thought that these dancers were absent from the stage for about 1.5 years???
  • Looking forward to rest of this run and the entire season!!

I was in attendance last night!  Overall, a fabulous program, and I liked the tribute video for Helgi.

As much as I'll truly miss Helgi as AD, his choreography is the thing I'll miss the least.  Nothing wrong with Trio, but it felt a bit thin and shallow, especially compared to the emotional depth of Mrs. Robinson that followed it and the complex corps work of Symphony in C.  The dancing was solid though.  Glad to see Norika Matsuyama with such a big solo role.

I adored Mrs. Robinson and am so glad we finally got to see it.  Certainly not a feel-good piece, but really thought-provoking and I'm curious to see other dancers' interpretations of the role (SVP was our Mrs. Robinson).  SVP certainly stole the show, though.  The sets and costumes captured the mid-century modern aesthetic very well.  I'm so thrilled that SFB has commissioned this work from Marston - an interesting followup after snowblind.  One little snafu last night - there was a set mishap! The hedge seemed to get stuck on a crease in the flooring and nearly toppled!  I was amazed the dancers kept going as if nothing happened, though.

Last night was my first time seeing Symphony in C!  Last movement looked a bit out-of-sync, but it's certainly a very challenging movement, so I can't blame the dancers!  Julia Rowe was the MVP for me here - she had the third (jumping) movement, and I was so impressed!  She's got such a solid jump and made it look easy!

I definitely hope to see Mrs. Robinson again - either this run or future runs.