This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, December 27

dirac

An interview with Xander Parish.

Parish, originally from Hull, started dancing at the age of eight and was accepted into the Royal Ballet school three years later. It was, he says, a sheltered life.

"We were locked away in a beautiful, royal hunting lodge in Richmond Park for five years which was amazing but I never really ventured out. My vision was focused on one thing. So it's certainly broadened my perspectives a lot by coming here!"

Sarah Crompton's best of 2021 in dance list for The Observer.

Birmingham Royal Ballet’s dancers look wonderfully honed and ready too, but director Carlos Acosta (who took over the company just as Covid struck) has yet to find a repertory that both redefines them and lets them shine. English National Ballet came back with a dazzling performance at Sadler’s Wells of works it had already showcased on film, including Russell Maliphant’s fine Echoes and Arielle Smith’s exhilarating Jolly Folly. Akram Khan’s long-awaited Creature was a muddled disappointment but Jeffrey Cirio’s agonised definition of the tormented soul at its centre was the performance of the year.