This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, December 13

dirac

A review of Ballet.Co. Laboratory's Nutcracker by Sheila Regan for The Star Tribune of Minneapolis.

You get one big adventure, and it's called "Nutcracker in Wonderland." Presented by Ballet Co.Laboratory at Ted Mann Concert Hall last weekend, the story juxtaposed Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" with E.T.A. Hoffman's "Nutcracker and Mouse King," using Tchaikovsky's music. Combining the plots made the story even more like a hallucinogenic dreamscape than either of the sources.

A review of the Australian Ballet's Celebration Gala by Leila Lois for ArtsHub.

Benedicte Bemet, in particular, with her heart-shaped face, and high tilt of head, was intoxicating. Her movements were doe-like and pristine. With two other principal dancers, Sharni Spencer and Valerie Tereshchenko, she latticied her arms and balancéd in canon, evocative of falling water. They were the epitome of force and grace. The elliptical sway of their pirouettes and chaîné turns were enough to take your breath away.

Galina Samsova has died at age 84.

The singularly eloquent, heroic, valuable ballerina Galina Samsova, a Russian stylist in a British context, has died, aged eighty-four. Many will never have heard of her, but she left branding memories. She was the first dancer to flood my eyes with tears; she had the most breathtakingly supple back I have ever observed in live performance. 

Singapore Dance Theatre gets a new name.

Three decades later, the dance company unveils its new name: Singapore Ballet. This much-anticipated news was announced at the opening of the Singapore Ballet Festival which took place from December 10 to 12. In making the name change, the company hopes to present itself in the most authentic light, whilst still remaining an ambassador for dance and for Singapore. 

Associated Press review of New York City Ballet's Nutcracker.

Athena Shevorykin was an expressive Marie, and Reed Ouimet an upbeat companion as the prince. As for the adults, on this night the Sugarplum Fairy was danced by Indiana Woodward — all warmth and excitement as she greeted the little angels in the beginning of Act II, and expansive as she danced the pas de deux with partner Anthony Huxley, dramatic fish dives and all.

Baton Rouge Ballet Theatre brings back Nutcracker to live performance.

But, that chance slipped away once the Nutcracker was canceled due to the pandemic.

“My dance teacher was like, ‘Hey, guys…we're not having a Nutcracker,’” Heffernan said. “All of us cried. We sobbed. It was horrible.”

When starting school at LSU, she joined Baton Rouge Ballet Theatre to continue dancing. This December, Heffernan is returning to the stage as the Azalea Fairy.

A review of Milwaukee Ballet by John Schneider for Shepherd Express.

It’s up to the dancers to make it all work. The opening night cast was stellar. Superstars Marize Fumero and Davit Hovhannisyan were superb as Marie and Karl, spinning, leaping, lifting and balancing, taking us into the music. Alana Griffith gave young Clara total agency, dancing as if by nature. As her brother Fritz, the fiery and funny Barry Molina often stole the show. Among the many things I hope will stay in Pink’s new production are Clara’s and Fritz’s comic interactions with the other characters. 

An interview with Raul Salamanca, the artistic director of Golden State Ballet.

“I knew by age 15 that I wanted to become a professional dancer, and there was nothing that would stop me. In ballet, if you don’t mind working really hard, then ballet can become a great vehicle for you to feel that you are a part of something special.”

As a professional dancer, Salamanca performed internationally, and at organizations such as Ballet Arizona, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal, Ballet San Antonio and Boston Ballet.