This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, December 11

dirac

Dawn French and Darcey Bussell reminisce about their "mirror duet" in The Vicar of Dibley.

French said: “When I came to work on this sketch with Darcey, everything I knew about ballet was what I had loved as a child at ballet class.

“My brother remembers this as little hippopotamuses running about – but in my head I was beautiful, lithe, free, I could express myself and I was appreciated by everybody, and I was able to be as unique as I wanted to be inside this discipline.

A review of the Philadelphia Ballet by Ellen Dunkel in The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Some of the dancers also seemed to add extra flourishes, including Sydney Dolan, as the Sugar Plum Fairy, who had believable reactions during the Prince’s pantomime story of battling the mice as well as stretching her movements out to her fingertips during her solos. Her pas de deux with Sterling Baca as the Cavalier, was strong and steady. Baca also impressed with his solo jumps and turns.

Photo gallery

La  Scala Ballet postpones its season opener.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/la-scala-delays-ballet-season-opener-due-to-virus-outbreak/2021/12/11/42056a70-5a86-11ec-8396-5552bef55c3c_story.html

At least one of the four ballerinas who tested positive for COVID-19 also appeared in the Dec. 7 premiere of the opera “Macbeth.”

Ten other people linked to the outbreak tested positive for the virus, all of them theater support personnel, including someone who worked in the hairdressing department, the theater said in a statement.

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Rachel Howard in  The San Francisco Chronicle.

For a balletomane and a critic, it was heartening to see that the most exuberant applause of the night went not to cute set pieces like the French can-can ladies with their mile-long ribbons or even Mother Ginger’s bashful bear, but to the pure classical dance passages that crown Act 2. The evening’s audience came hungry for spectacular ballet technique, and they got it, especially from Nikisha Fogo.

Tamara Rojo talks about English National Ballet's new "Raymonda."

Hence her determination to give Raymonda more of a voice. Unlike Petipa’s demure 1898 St Petersburg heroine, Rojo’s is a woman who doesn’t sit back and wait for men to define her. “She’s not a victim, she tries to take charge of her own destiny and follow her dream of becoming a professional nurse, which was something frowned upon by her social class.” Instead of a woman who needs rescuing from a sexual predator by a brave knight, Raymonda in the 21st century is an independent woman trapped in a love triangle when she falls in love with John’s best friend Abdur, a leader of the Ottoman army.