This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, November 24

dirac

A review of the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker by Louise Levene in The Financial Times.

The staging has altered somewhat in the past 37 years (Wright is a great believer in second thoughts), but the biggest changes came during the 1999/2000 revival. The basic scenario of a toymaker’s nephew turned into a novelty household implement remained unchanged (and they say ballets don’t have plots) but Clara, the young girl at the heart of the story, suddenly had a great deal more to do. Originally an onlooker in the Act Two Kingdom of the Sweets divertissements, she was suddenly joining in all the character dances and her relationship with the Nutcracker/nephew became a teen romance, complete with its own pas de deux (too much too young, surely, for a girl still getting dollies for Christmas).

Jann Parry's review for DanceTabs.

The big ensemble number is Wright’s Waltz of the Flowers, led by Yuhui Choe as the Rose Fairy. She’s outdanced by O’Sullivan’s Clara, who then gives way to Nunez’s supreme Sugar Plum Fairy. Nunez phrases every moment of Ivanov’s choreography so beautifully, considerately partnered by Muntagirov, that they make the pas de deux a declaration of what ballet can convey. It bypasses cerebral understanding, directly affecting the nervous system, as Tchaikovsky must have known when he composed his loveliest music. Although the Sugar Plum variation, danced to the tinkling celeste, is delicious, the coda to the pas de deux makes you want to cry because it will be over so soon.

Mark Pullinger reviews the production for Bachtrack.

The major casting was more or less identical to last year’s opening performance, apart from Joseph Sissens replacing the originally scheduled James Hay. Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov still reign over The Kingdom of Sweets, she as pristine as ever in her celesta-saturated Sugar Plum Fairy variation, he aristocratic of bearing. Their polished Grand pas de deux gleamed with style and steely balances. At the heart of the tale, Avis’ Drosselmeyer is finely honed, his face etched with every nuance of the role of the mysterious man whose nephew, Hans-Peter, was transformed into a wooden nutcracker and is seeking a way to break the spell. His pockets – and hat – seemed fuller of glitter than ever!

An interview with Turkish dancer and teacher  Bahri Gürcan.

But Gürcan is now in North Macedonia to improve his international career as a dance teacher. "I came here to represent Turkish ballet. It is really nice that an artist from Turkish ballet comes and gives lessons to the State Ballet of North Macedonia. Previously, I gave lectures in France and in various other countries,'' he said.

A look at the new crop of New York City Ballet Nutcracker kids by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

Size is an issue. Ordinarily, the children picked for the production from the company-affiliated School of American Ballet top out at around 5 feet 1 inches tall. What will it look like when a giant Mouse faces off with a Soldier who’s 5 feet 7? (Hopefully still hilarious.) For Dena Abergel, City Ballet’s children’s repertory director, the height requirement can be a source of anguish.

An interview with Boston Ballet's Isaac Akiba.

“I’m a kid from JP. I’ve taken the Orange Line [to the ballet] my entire life,” Akiba says. “I’d walk into company class and see these exceptional artists/athletes from Korea, from Italy, Georgia, South America, China. …They inspire me. There’s such dedication. I wish audiences could watch what it takes to get onstage at such a high level. On a daily basis, that’s what keeps me going.”

Long Beach Ballet presents its 39th annual Nutcracker.

More than 200 dancers, from the youngest beginners to international guest stars, will cross the Terrace Theater stage before the ballet comes to an end. A full symphony orchestra, including two harps, will perform the Tchaikovsky score. The ballet will take the stage next month.

Gillian Murphy will guest star in American Repertory Ballet's Nutcracker.

Celebrating a return to stages this holiday season, world-renowned ballerina Gillian Murphy will appear as the Sugar Plum Fairy in American Repertory Ballet’s The Nutcracker. Murphy will perform on Saturday, November 27, at 7:30 p.m. at McCarter Theater.