This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, September 28

dirac

Queensland Ballet announces its 2022 season.

The extension of Li’s contract as Artistic Director for another three years was also announced at the 2022 launch, with Li quipping, “No pressure… actually, the pressure has never gone off”. That’s because he sees his role as continuing to not just dream, but also build. “There are quite a few aspirational visionary projects still yet to be finished,” he explains. “There are quite a lot of exciting new works in the pipeline that I would personally like to see come to fruition. Some of the works are truly going to be incredibly exciting and world firsts. As a leader of this company the big question for me is just how do we sustain and consolidate the success we have achieved? We really want to continue to deliver the success beyond my time.”

A story on the Paris Opera Ballet's opening gala by Liam Freeman for Vogue.

Dressed in Chanel jewelry and a black cotton gilet and matching trousers from the spring 2021 collection, Dupont welcomed guests to the gala from the stage alongside director general Alexander Neef and introduced the evening’s program. Staying true to tradition, the opening act was the défilé du ballet, a procession bringing together all of the company’s dancers, from the school’s pupils to the étoiles. The prima ballerinas wore tutus, corsets, and tiaras that were made in collaboration between Chanel, the Opera’s ateliers, and the embroiderers Lesage; continuing the couture house’s long affiliation with dance, which began in 1920 when Gabrielle Chanel helped Serge Diaghilev revive The Rite of Spring (1913).