This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, August 26

dirac

A review of the National Ballet of Canada by Paula Citron for Ludwig Van.

My chief interest in this long-awaited performance was how would the company look after such a long absence. Dancers are like elite athletes who must keep their bodies conditioned. I did an article early on in the pandemic about how they were training, and it wasn’t easy for the dancers taking company class on Zoom while using the kitchen counter or a stairway railing as a barre.

I needn’t have worried. The company looked very strong in the mixed program presented on opening night, which featured two neoclassical Balanchine works, and two contemporary ballets by Canadian choreographers. It was a judicious mix of styles.

The Hudson Ballet presents a new ballet in Minneapolis about the Hmong immigrant experience.

Thao takes on his own family's story in "Diaspora," a five-act ballet that centers on his mother's relationship with her grandmother, beginning with their time in Laos, to the refugee camps in Thailand, and finally the United States.