This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, August 20

dirac

An NPR interview with Kyle Abraham and Misty Copeland.

Misty Copeland: And especially, I think, for Black people in dance, because we’re not given a voice and our stories are not being told, especially in classical works.

As much as I love the history and tradition of classical ballet, you don’t want to keep continuing on these stories that are — I don’t even know how to put it. I don’t want to play a slave girl anymore, you know? I want to be able to do works that are going to move the art form forward.

An exhibition of photographs by Mikhail Baryshnikov opens in Toronto this month.

A series of engaging photographic portraits of dancers whom he met during extended travels between Argentina and India, the work in LOOKING FOR THE DANCE depicts the intimate essence of dance, its constant transformation and its most abstract and purest concept. The elusive vibrations and the passionate energy of those dancers is perfectly immortalized in its present state by the photographic image.