This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, May 14

dirac

An NPR interview with Jacques d'Amboise from 1989.

TERRY GROSS: You audition the children to see if they can be in your classes. How do you audition kids who don't have any formal dance training yet?

JACQUES D'AMBOISE: Not who's the best, who tries the hardest. For one hour, you're giving steps to children. And they don't know their right from their left. And you're demanding excellence. And you're demanding silence and no chewing gum and no bad manners and no fighting and no foul language. And stand straight. And lift your head up. And put your right foot front. And do it on the music, and now twice as fast and so on. And you can see the lurkers over in the back and the side that kind of - hands in their pocket. And they're kind of giggling and laughing. Get rid of them right away. Tell them that they're not ready yet, next year, when they're ready - so it's those that try.

Shelley Washington talks about coaching Sarasota Ballet dancers in Nine Sinatra Songs.

“If I’m staging, I have to be touching them, showing all the lifts and partnering,” she said. “But as a coach I wouldn’t have to do that, I thought. I told them I would stand in front of the room and guide. But within five minutes, I was all over them, asking if it was ok to touch them. The company has done everything to ensure we were all safe, and it was very hard work but also fun and challenging in the most wonderful way.”

Levi Marsman makes a new work for the Richmond Ballet.

The 33-year-old dancer and choreographer trained at The Ailey School, a prestigious modern dance school in New York. He later joined Ailey II dance company. The Ailey School, the official school of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, was founded in Brooklyn in 1969 by American choreographer and activist Alvin Ailey.