This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, May 23

dirac

A review of English National Ballet by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

The five commissioned works in Reunion, intended for performance last November, were transformed by film-makers into digital fantasies for ENB’s pay-per-view season at the end of 2020 (still available online). Shorn of their filmic effects on stage, some survived better than others. Pleased though I was to be experiencing live dance in a theatre once again, I missed close-ups in the digital screenings that identified performers and emotions. Without the camera’s guidance, there was often no way of knowing who the people in short narrative works were meant to be, or whether indeed a narrative was implied.

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Heather Desaulniers for DanceTabs.

One thing this R&J gets really right is the character arc of Juliet, portrayed in a 2015 archival film by Maria Kochetkova. When she first enters the scene, the youthful exuberance is overwhelming. Each step barely skims the surface of the stage – she is so excited and buoyant. Quickly, Juliet evolves. Nervous infatuation and measured care take over in her early duets with Paris (Myles Thatcher), while a sense of abandon and desire pervades every pas de deux with Romeo (Davit Karapetyan), especially Act I’s balcony scene. With grand leaps, spinning lifts and romantic renversé, the couple floats on air, soars through space and falls in love.