This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, December 12

dirac

Smuin Contemporary Ballet presents "The Christmas Ballet" online.

It was also designed to keep loyal fans coming back for favorite numbers, while freshening interest by swapping out a song or two for bits of new choreography every year. This pandemic season, that adaptability makes room for additions Smuin would never have foreseen: Three slates of premieres and debut performances, danced by company members who worked in pods and recorded their COVID-era contributions, following safety protocols, in Smuin Contemporary Ballet’s San Francisco studios last month.

Q&A with Bayardo De Murguia of "Tiny Pretty Things."

What was the preparation like to play Ramon

Bayardo De Murguia: ...........I dove headfirst into everything I could find about Cuban ballet and Latin American dance schools. Ramon's background is Cuban American, and I looked at how that upbringing would affect his style of teaching. Carlos Acosta, a world-renowned dancer and choreographer, played a huge influence in my initial research, as did Alicia Alonso. The world that [showrunner] Michael Maclennan and our writers have created is compelling, dark, twisted and thrilling. What more could you want?