This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, November 6

dirac

Photographer Brad Walls shoots of dancer Montana Rubin from very high up.

Walls was inspired by Olive Cotton's 1935 Tea cup ballet and began putting together an inspiration board based on the shadows and shapes of these dancers. He then took advantage of the downtime dancers now have due to COVID-19 and set up a shoot with Montana Rubin, a member of the Australian Ballet. The result is a set of magical images that speaks to the strength of their collaboration.

An interview with Misty Copeland.

"In terms of the dance world, I feel like this is a moment where we can step back and have a clean slate in some way because I feel like we we haven't fully accessed our broad reach," Copeland says. "Yes, [the American Ballet Theatre] is an international touring company, but it doesn't mean that we have that representation in the audiences and on the stage just because we're travelling the world. And I feel like this is a moment for us to really make a presence for ourselves virtually as well as with Black Lives Matter, giving us an opportunity to fully address what has been neglected from the beginning of time, which is the, you know, the institutional racism in ballet."