This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, October 27

dirac

Q&A with Carlos Acosta.

Diversity has been a problematic issue for ballet companies for a long time, and the Black Lives Matter movement pushed that into the spotlight. Is this a preoccupation for you?

When I arrived at the Royal Ballet, in 1998, as the company’s first Black principal, there were only two Black dancers. I think we’ve moved on hugely. A high percentage of our company in nonwhite, and I am the director. There are still relatively few Black dancers, and it could be perceived as racism, that directors are making these choices. But I don’t think it’s like that. Which of us wouldn’t give everything to discover the next Black Aurora or Swan Queen?

The truth is there aren’t too many highly trained Black ballet dancers knocking at the door......

San Francisco Ballet  will stay digital in 2021.

All seven programs of the main season, which are scheduled to stream from Jan. 21 through June 9, 2021, will be drawn from prior performances, with some virtual offerings newly recorded. The annual holiday production of “The Nutcracker” for 2020 will also be online only, a stream of Tomasson’s production as performed in 2007.