This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, July 17

dirac

A look back at the career of Mikhail Baryshnikov, with photos.

“It was arranged secretly through friends. I was running, the getaway car was waiting a few blocks away as we were boarding on the group’s bus. KGB was watching us. It was actually funny. Fans are waiting for me outside the stage door, and I walk out and I start to run, and they start to run after me for autograph. They were laughing, I was running for my life. It was very emotional moment, I tell you.”

Obituaries for Zizi Jeanmaire, who has died at age 96.

The Guardian

Shortly before leaving Paris, Petit had taken Jeanmaire to Antoine, the leading hairdresser of the day, who chopped off her long curls. The resulting cropped cut was copied by thousands of women worldwide. The brief corset-like costumes that Antoni Clavé designed for Carmen emphasised Jeanmaire’s feminine physique, which contrasted with her boyish cut to unforgettable effect.

AFP

"My mother passed away peacefully last night at her home in Tolechenaz," a town bordering Lake Geneva, her daughter Valentine Petit told AFP by telephone.

The Daily Telegraph

Zizi Jeanmaire, the dancer and cabaret artist, who has died aged 96, was one of Paris’s most celebrated entertainers – an extraordinary, gamine ballet dancer who crossed over into the boîtes de nuit to become a legendarily witty and seductive singing performer....