This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, June 22

dirac

An appreciation of Sally Banes by Marcia B. Siegel for The Arts Fuse.

Like the death of anyone close to you, Sally’s takes me back through my own years, viewing the vanished people and performances we went through together, and on different but concurrent tracks. Some of those reflections appear in the tribute below, which I gave some months after Sally was hospitalized in 2002. It was at a conference of the Congress on Research in Dance (CORD) in New York. She’d won the year’s award for excellence in dance scholarship. The talk was televised and broadcast to Sally’s room:

Ma Cong is appointed as associate artistic director of Richmond Ballet.

Richmond Ballet Artistic Director Stoner Winslett, who has led the company for four decades, said in the statement, “I have spent many years looking for someone to help support me in leading the Ballet, and I know that I have cast the right person in Ma.

A review of the Royal Ballet's second streamed concert by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

Far from raising our spirits, Muntagirov’s deeply felt solo probably had many of us in tears. Rani possibly hadn’t watched it, pre-occupied as she was with her cue cards. Why not have someone knowledgeable to introduce the programme? Antonio Pappano, the House’s music director, could have done it before assuming his role as conductor of Das Lied von der Erde/Song of the Earth.