This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, April 27

dirac

An interview with 'quantum ballerina' Merritt Moore.

“It was Harvard then Zurich Ballet, Harvard then Boston National Ballet, Oxford then English National Ballet, Oxford then Norway National Ballet. I kept thinking that each time would be the last time I’d dance. Now, 10 years on, I’ve proved that it’s possible to do both.” She’s proved it and then some, fitting a bachelor’s degree in physics from Harvard and a PhD in atomic and laser physics from Oxford around her pliés and pirouettes. 

How Tiler Peck is coping with the shutdown.

In a series called How I Cope, we speak to people across the country about the things they are doing to relieve stress in these uncertain times due to the coronavirus pandemic. Tiler Peck, 31, is a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet. She’s currently in Bakersfield, Calif., with her parents, sister and grandmother.

A review of the Stuttgart Ballet in 'Mayerling' by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

Friedemann Vogel’s Rudolf starts as a spoilt prince, resenting the claims made on him by his status, his bride, his mistress Larisch and the Hungarian dissidents. In the recording of the premiere performance, Vogel doesn’t fully get into the role until he encounters Mary. MacMillan’s choreography and Liszt’s music reveal what Rudolf must be feeling in Act I but Vogel is intent on accomplishing the succession of pas de deux with different women. The ‘closet scene’ with his mother fails to read effectively because Miriam Kacerova as Empress Elisabeth remains blankly glamorous. Alicia Amatriain’s scheming Larisch has a louche touch of vulgarity, which becomes pronounced in the hunting party scene. She is chilling when reprimanded by Elisabeth before Rudolf’s second pas de deux with Mary; Larisch recognises how far gone he is.

A sampling of online ballet offerings from Michael Crabb in The Toronto Star.

However, if you want to start with a fairly straightforward production [of "Swan Lake"], search for the one devised in 1964 by Rudolf Nureyev for the Vienna State Ballet, available on YouTube in a 2014 “live from” recording starring Olga Esina and Vladimir Shishov.