This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, April 23

dirac

Chandra Kuykendall of Colorado Ballet's retirement performance is advanced abruptly by the pandemic.

“We went to class and rehearsal in the morning, and at lunch, we got an email we were going to have a meeting,” Kuykendall said. That afternoon Gil Boggs, the company’s artistic director, announced the rest of the season was being canceled because of the pandemic.

“It was quite a shock,” Kuykendall said. “The Colorado Ballet has been my home for 31 years, and it was over. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know whether to clean out my locker.”

San Francisco Ballet announces promotions.

Each of the 11 promoted dancers received training at SF Ballet School, from which previous students make up over 65 percent of SF Ballet's Company. In addition, Nikisha Fogo, first soloist with the Vienna State Ballet, joins the Company as principal dancer in the 2021 Season. Also joining the Company's corps de ballet is Luca Ferrò from the Princess Grace Academy. 

Mid-Columbia Ballet continues plans for its Nutcracker.

The Board of Directors of Mid-Columbia Ballet were determined not to let this setback in venue space pause an event that so many in the community look forward to and plan their year around. In December 2020, Mid-Columbia Ballet will produce “The Nutcracker” at the Toyota Center in Kennewick. There won’t be a great backstage or dressing room with mirrors. The performers will have to do costume changes in tents, and the company will have to rent backdrops because the iconic Mid-Columbia Ballet set was designed by Greg Elder specifically for the RHS auditorium stage.

A review of English National Ballet by Vikki Jane Vile for Broadway World.

It was especially interesting to take a second look at this first iteration of Ochoa's work, which has since returned to London's dance house in 2019 with a different cast. As well as engrossing storytelling, it was enjoyable to spot company members who have either retired, moved on or progressed up the ranks since the time of this recording.