This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, April 20

dirac

A CNN story about Royal Ballet dancers staying in shape during lockdown.

While working from home generally conjures images of sofas strewn with laptops and notebooks, dancers have had to get more creative to adapt their personal spaces to their needs. This means a kitchen bar may become a ballet barre, and an audience of thousands is temporarily shrunk to family members and pets. To replicate the feel of the sprung floors she usually rehearses on, first soloist Anna Rose O'Sullivan has taken to practicing on a folded yoga mat "so I don't ruin my parents' floor and so it's safer," she said.

New York City Ballet offers a "digital season."

“It felt natural to open the weeks with some of our legacy repertory,” said Mr. Stafford, who made the selections with Wendy Whelan, the company’s associate artistic director, and Mr. Peck, its resident choreographer and artistic adviser. “Fridays felt like a good time to show some of the fresh young voices in the dance world today that we are so fortunate to work with.”

Sarasota Ballet announces its thirtieth anniversary season.

Webb reconfigured the new schedule after the spring cancellations and began imagining what it would be like “when we all get back together in the theater. I want the lights to come down and the curtain to go up with something that is pure, classical dancing and joyful and everything we’ve been missing.” That is “Donizetti Variations.” He also wanted to highlight Graziano’s most recent work and to close with “Company B,” so “everyone can leave humming away to the Andrews Sisters.”

Related.

The anticipated—and delayed—company premiere of Ashton’s full-length ballet Romeo & Juliet, set to music by Prokofiev, will now highlight the holiday season with performances Dec. 18 and 19 at Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall.