This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Harlequinade

I was there last night and agree with the others regarding Gonzalez. Lots of promise, and for his first principal role (he hasn’t even done a soloist role yet) he did extremely well. Very good technique, beautiful and clean jumps and good partnering of Lane. But, he lacked projection and energy. He is very young and inexperienced so I hope with more opportunities and good coaching he will improve in these areas. (I also hope we’ll see him as Bluebird or Benno, etc.)

Teuscher smiled a lot and her dancing was fine, very good even, but she lacked the wit and charm (and overt personality) that I feel this part requires. Abrera was spot on when I saw her in this last year and really funny.

Royal was awful, and it pains me to say that. As noted above, he played Pierrot as angry (extremely so) and a bit spastic.  It was all wrong and though I thought the audience in general was low energy (except for the children’s sections, as it was cleared filled with their families) he got no laughs. Why didn’t they cast Zhurbin instead, their most accomplished actor? Hallberg was wonderful in this last year, but for whatever reason was not cast this time. I thought Royal and Teuscher had no chemistry. 

Lane was gorgeous, secure, light and just lovely. The lark section is so beautiful and I’d prefer to see it as a stand alone. Lane needed a stronger fellow principal cast to feed off of. 

The children were adorable and very well rehearsed, but I still feel that their section goes on way too long with too much repetitive prancing. 

I don’t need to see this ballet again. Some lovely parts but not enough dancing (and by the adults). 

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

The lark section is so beautiful and I’d prefer to see it as a stand alone.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I don’t need to see this ballet again. Some lovely parts but not enough dancing (and by the adults). 

I agree with you here, ABT Fan.  

I attended the final performance of Harlequinade last night. I think I saw it twice last year. This year, I only chose to go once because I couldn't bear the thought of sitting through Act I again. But I had forgotten how beautiful Act II is--particularly the lark section. I, too, would very much like to see it as a stand alone. Such beautiful dancing and unique choreography! Parts of it are absolutely gorgeous. I also thought Cassie Trenary was lovely as Columbine. And, some of the costumes in Act II are stunning.

If ABT ever does Act II as a stand alone, I’d go see it in a heartbeat.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:32 PM, BalletFan said:

If ABT ever does Act II as a stand alone, I’d go see it in a heartbeat.

I love this idea! I saw Harlequinade last year and felt once was enough for the full-length due to the lack of adult dancing when you take the ballet as a whole. But Act II,  or especially just the lark section, I would be glad to see again as stand-alones.