This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

YAGP 20th Anniversary Gala "Stars of Today Meet the Stars of Tomorrow"

David H. Koch Theater, Lincoln Center

This annually sold-out, spectacular Gala performance features the top winners of the YAGP international student ballet competition alongside guest stars from the world’s leading dance companies. Proceeds from the Gala will go directly toward scholarships for gifted young dance students who wish to pursue a professional career in dance.

For individual and group tickets to April 18 and 19 performances,  Click Here.

For Patron tickets including April 18th post-performance dinner with the artists, Click Here or contact YAGP Development Office at 646-791-9500 or development@yagp.org .

FEATURING: 

(*Indicates YAGP Alumni)

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Skylar Brandt*, Herman Cornejo (April 18), Thomas Forster, Sung Woo Han*, Catherine Hurlin*, Joaquin De Luz, Calvin Royal III*, Hee Seo*, Christine Shevchenko*, Cory Stearns*, Katherine Williams*

BOLSHOI BALLET

Olga Smirnova

BOSTON BALLET

Derek Dunn*

FINNISH NATIONAL BALLET

Rebecca King*

HOUSTON BALLET

Tyler Donatelli*

JOFFREY BALLET

Fabrice Calmels (April 18)

MARIINSKY BALLET

Kimin Kim*; Ekaterina Kondaurova; Konstantin Zverev

NEW YORK CITY BALLET

Taylor Stanley*, Daniel Ulbricht, Indiana Woodward*

PARSONS DANCE

Zoey Anderson

VICTOR ULLATE BALLET

Lucia Lacarra, Josue Ullate (April 19th)

WORLD BALLROOM CHAMPION

Denys Drozdyuk (April 18)

** Program subject to change

I attended last night's gala.  The biggest star of the evening was the utterly brilliant Kimin Kim.  He defies gravity.  He was absolutely thrilling in his Don Q  and Black Swan variations.  Olga Smirnova dumbed down her solo variation in the Black Swan pdd by doing pique turns around the stage instead of the traditional fouettes.  Is she afraid to get injured?  I expect that modification from certain dancers, but not a Bolshoi principal. 

I enjoyed Smirnova's Dying Swan, but they decided to turn it into pas, with Calvin Royal circling around her and stalking her.  I wanted to swat him out of the way so I could focus on Smirnova.  His presence added nothing and distracted the viewer from this beautiful solo. 

Kondaurova was sharp and authoritative in a pas from Forsythe's In the Middle.  It was for me a highlight.

Lucia Lacarra and Fabrice Calmels trotted out Arpino's Light Rain duet (subtitled I Am Gumby, Dammit.)  Lucia's flexibility is marvelous, especially given that she is not so young.  It was trashy but fun.

The Manon pas with Stearns and Seo was deadly boring.  I don't have high hopes for their upcoming ABT performances in the lead roles.

The new Hamrick piece to boyfriend Mick Jagger's music was harmless but amateurish.

The finale was a pastiche of excerpts from Don Q.  Shevchenko killed it with a portion of Kitri's Act I variation, where she does the Plistetskaya kicks.  

There were film clips of youngsters talking about ballet after each piece.  The first one or two clips  were cute.  But the repetition of the cute kids on film trying to articulate their love of ballet  started to become grating and a complete waste of time.

Edited by abatt